One of my favourite cakes to eat is Carrot Cake. Maybe I convince myself it is healthy and not really cake! In my opinion, the best kinds of carrot cake have just the right amount of sweetness, yummy cream cheese icing and are beautifully moist. After some experimentation, I feel I have the perfect recipe with all of these traits - I hope you enjoy it too!
2 cups (250g) cake flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 and a half tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 and a quarter (295ml) Oil (Canola, Sunflower or Coconut all work well)
1 cup (200g) Brown Sugar
1 cup (200g) Castor Sugar (you can use Coconut Sugar or xylitol instead)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 large eggs
3 Cups (300g) thinly grated, peeled Carrots (about 6 medium sized carrots)
200g of Crushed Canned Pineapple
1 Cup (100g) Coarsely Chopped Pecans
Half a Cup (65g) Raisons
Cream Cheese Icing Topping:
225g Cream Cheese (at room temperature)
140g Icing Sugar
140g Butter (at room temperature)
1tsp Vanilla Extract
A handful of pecan nuts for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Lightly grease 20cm cake tin or two smaller tins for a layered cake.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and the cinnamon until well blended.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the oil, sugars, and vanilla.
- Add the eggs to the bowl with the wet ingredients, whisking them in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then slowly add the dry ingredients. Gently stir the mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Now add the carrots, pineapple, nuts, and raisins to the batter and fold in with a spatula.
- Now divide the batter equally between the prepared cake tins and smooth the tops.
- Place in the oven and bake for around 35 to 45 minutes, or until a fork inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool in their pans for around 15 minutes before turning them out onto cooling racks.
- To finish, place the cream cheese, icing sugar and butter in a large bowl (or use a mixer) and mix thoroughly until light and fluffy.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, ice the top one layer and then place the other cake on top.
- Finish icing all around the cake and decorate with nuts. Slice and enjoy!
Serves about 8