This thick and creamy pea soup resembles a dhal and although it is vegetarian, it is very filling. Peas are one of the best things you can eat if you are feeling a bit under the weather and need a vitamin boost. Enjoy this comfort food, with a sprinkle of Parmesan Cheese on top.
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs butter
3 Leeks, cleaned well and sliced
1 White Onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 litres (8 cups) water
2 small Vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
500g Frozen Baby Green Peas
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
pinch Maldon Salt
Parmesan for grating over
- Heat the oil and butter in a deep pot, add the leeks and onions and sauté for a while until soft.
- Then add the garlic and parsley and cook for a minute.
- Stir in all the peas and cook through for a few minutes, before adding the water, stock cubes, and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil for a few minutes and then simmer, uncovered, for just over an hour.
- Blend using a hand blender for a minute or two, to obtain a thick result, or if you prefer your soup thinner, use a blender and blend for longer.
- Add the cream to the pot and stir until heated through.
- Serve in bowls with grated Parmesan cheese over the top.