Who doesn’t love crunchies? The sweet oats and crunchiness of this biscuit makes them a favourite snack for both the young and old (in fact even my Bassett Hound loves them). The best part is that they are pretty healthy. I have fine-tuned this recipe quite a bit and removed sugar completely, so you get the sweetness from the Maple syrup and natural sugar of the dates. I hope you will enjoy the results. (You may want to double up the mixture as they normally don’t last long!)
3 Tbs Maple Syrup
100g Self Raising Flour
150g Mix of flaked almonds, coconut and chopped dates (Or alternatively use raisons, pumpkin seeds, almonds and sunflower seeds instead)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Heat the butter and syrup together in a pan on the stove, until it all melts.
- Mix the dry ingredients all together
- Add the butter mixture and mix.
- Take small amounts of the mixture (about 2 Tbsp) and roll into a ball shape. Place on a greased tray and lightly press the balls down.
- Bake for around 12 - 15 minutes, until they are starting to harden and brown.
- Place the crunchies on a rack to cool for a few minutes to cool down, before enjoying them with a well-deserved cup of tea.
Makes around 14