I am posting this recipe especially for my beautiful pregnant friend. Rather then have them go to waste, I enjoy using the old bananas from the fruit bowl and making something delicious with them. This is a very tasty, yet simple recipe for banana bread that your whole family will love. It is moist and full of flavour. I use dates (one of my favourite ingredients) to add some natural sugar, but if you’d rather not you can omit it and double up on the sugar quantity.
2 Ripe Bananas
100g Unsalted Butter
1 tsp Baking Soda
a Pinch of Salt
100g Brown or Coconut Sugar
1 large Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
175g White Flour
- Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- Line a 4 x 8 inch loaf tin with baking paper.
- Chop up the dates and allow to soak in some some hot water in a small bowl for a few minutes. Then drain them.
- In your mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
- Melt the butter and then add it to the banana mixture and mix everything together.
- Mix in the baking soda, salt, sugar and dates.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the vanilla essence. Then add this to the mixture.
- Sift in the flour and mix thoroughly by hand.
- Then pour the batter mixture into the tin and flatten.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 40 - 50 minutes until golden on the outside and a tester inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow it to rest in the pan for a few minutes before taking it out. Slice with a bread knife and enjoy with some butter and a cup of tea.