These are the easiest and tastiest cupcakes, perfect for a birthday party or celebration. The first few years of my daughters’ lives were filled with many an afternoon of baking and decorating cupcakes. Now days, they have moved on to more sophisticated cakes, but still who can resist a cupcake? You can keep them simple or doll them up with fancy decorations. Feel free to experiment and enjoy!
150g Castor Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Essence
2 Eggs beaten
225g Self Raising Flour
150ml Full Cream Milk
Pinch of salt
1. Prepare your muffin tin, by placing cup-cake holders in it and heat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Using a fork, cream the softened butter and castor sugar.
3. Add your eggs and vanilla essence gradually and beat well.
4. Sift in the flour and salt and fold lightly in, alternating with milk.
5. Beat until mixture is smooth.
6. Place two spoonfuls of mixture in cupcake holders, in a baking tin and bake for 15 mins at 180 degrees.
7. Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
a)Basic Glace Icing
Mix about 150g sifted icing sugar with a dab of butter and a tiny bit of water. Adjust if necessary until consistency is not too runny nor too thick.
Add a dash of food colouring if you wish.
Mix about 150g soft butter with 300 g sifted icing sugar. Add 2tbsp milk and beat by hand or with a machine, until smooth and creamy.
* For variations, add a dash of vanilla or rose essence, or food colouring, or cocoa powder(for chocolate icing).
For extra special cupcakes, after placing 1 spoonful of batter into each muffin space, add either 1/2 tsp of jam (Strawberry is good) or Nutella on top and then cover with 1 last spoonful of the mixture, before baking. It creates a yummy hidden surprise in the centre!