I have so many wonderful memories of sipping this warm, spicy red wine while seated by a fireplace, indulging in relaxed conversation with friends. Those memories comfort me, now that connection and contact is so limited these days. I love this wintery drink and here in the Northern Hermisphere it is perfect for the festive season.
3/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of white sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
1 bottle/750ml of cheap red wine (I used Odd Bins 934 - Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2015)
- In a large pot or saucepan, combine the water, sugar, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring the mixture to the boil until the sugar melts and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer.
- Cut the orange in half, and squeeze the juice of both halves out into the simmering water.
- Push all the cloves into the outside of the orange peel, and place the peel in the simmering water, along with the star anise.
- Continue simmering for 30 minutes, until thick and syrupy.
- Pour into thick mugs or warm glasses and enjoy by a warm fire with friends!
Photo by Hannah Pemberton on Unsplash