This tasty and healthy cabbage and noodle salad is always a success when entertaining. The original recipe was given to me by my mom’s cousin, who invented it while sailing around the world on her yacht, the Lora Lei. It has sort of become my signature salad and I frequently make various adjustments to it, so feel free to do the same. Enjoy!
2 baby Red Cabbages (or 1 large red cabbage)
2 baby Green Cabbages (or 1 large green cabbage)
1 pack of Spring onions
1 pack of instant noodles (Veg flavour)
60g Sunflower Seeds
60g Sesame seeds or flaked Almonds (I often use both. It is a good idea to 1st check that your guests don’t have nut allergies)
2 Tbs Good Quality Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Vinegar (Balsamic is my favourite but white wine does fine)
Contents of sachet from instant noodle pack
(For a slightly different variation, I often also add Sesame oil, Soya sauce and a touch of raw honey)
- Place the nuts and seeds on a baking tray until the tray is lightly covered. Then place them in the oven at 180 – 200 degrees for about 2 – 3 minutes. (Watch them, otherwise they will burn!) Remove when the seeds turn a golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Chop the cabbage into small strips and add to a large bowl.
- Slice the Spring Onions into small rounds and also add to the bowl.
- Remove the sachet from the noodle packet and place it to the side. Crush the noodles into smaller pieces and add to the bowl.
- Now you can also add the roasted nuts and seeds.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small jug. I always play around with the amounts, but just ensure you don’t add too much oil. Pour over the salad and mix together, about 20 minutes before serving.
Serves about 6-8 people as a side dish