I love a good steamed pudding, but the task of having to boil it and have it cook for almost 2 hours, often puts me off. This recipe you could say is a cheats version as it tastes just as good as a traditional steamed pudding, yet is much simpler and quicker to make as you simply bake iy. It is a wonderfully comforting sponge pudding and goes down a treat for Sunday lunch, with a dollop of custard or whipped cream. You can use any jam you like, or even Maple Syrup instead. Enjoy!
125g Butter, softened
150g Castor Sugar
2 Large Eggs beaten
1tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Tbs Smooth Apricot Jam
225g Self Raising Flour
a of pinch Salt
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and grease an ovenproof casserole dish that holds around 2 liters.
- In a large bowl, beat the castor sugar and eggs until fluffy and then beat in the apricot jam, until you get a creamy consistency.
- Melt the butter in a small pot on a medium heat and add the vinegar and milk.
- Sift your dry ingredients into your large bowl.
- Now add the above mixture butter and milk mixture to your bowl and mix well.
- Now add the eggs and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into the ovenproof dish and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is nicely browned and a skewer comes out dry when used to test.
- Melt all the sauce ingredients together in a small pot over a medium heat.
- Pour the sauce over the pudding before you serve it, preferably while it’s still hot.