If you like pasta with plain not-so-saucy sauces, like I do, then you’ll love this dish. Don’t be put off by the anchovies if you are not a fishy person – they add flavour without tasting like fish.
Although the ingredients are fairly basic, the flavours are quite rich and you don’t need to eat much to feel satisfied.
6 Anchovy fillets
60ml(1/4 cup) extra virgin oil
500 g spaghettini (or spaghetti)
60ml(1/4 cup) coarse breadcrumbs
8 kalamata olives, pitted and finely chopped (This is optional)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
60ml(1/4 cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Grana Padano, freshly grated, to serve
- In a pestle and mortar, crush the anchovies with the olive oil.
- Cook the pasts in plenty of boiling, salted water until al dente and drain.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. When hot, remove it from the heat and add the anchovy-oil mixture and the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for about 5-10seconds. Put back on the heat and add the olives, garlic and parsley. Season only if necessary.
- Add the cooked spaghettini to the pan, remove from the heat and toss to coat the pasta.
- Serve immediately with Grana Padano. – enjoy!