When it is cold and rainy, there is nothing better then making a pot of warm. nurturing, spicy soup. Take inspiration from Mexico and get your protein from the beans while allowing the dash of chili to warm both your bones and your spirit. I love adding toppings to my soup and I chose the garlic cheesy garlic croutons this time, but you could also add a dollop of sour cream and grated cheese.
1 Tbs olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 small can (around 215g) whole kernel corn
1 x 410g can 3 bean mix
1 x 410g can red kidney beans
1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
2 litres (8 cups) water
1 small Vegetable stock cubes, crumbled
1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cracked black peppercorns
pinch of salt
- Heat most of the oil in a large pot, add both onions, as well as the garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add all the spices and mix in to develop the flavours.
- In a separate pan add a dash of oil and stir fry both peppers until they are cooked and slightly charred on the edges.
- Place half of the peppers into the pot and add the stock, water, canned tomatoes and can of mixed beans*(ensure the beans have been drained)*.
- Bring to the boil for a few minutes and then simmer, uncovered, for about 1 hour.
- With a stick blender, blend the mixture to create a thick soup.
- Add the can of (drained) kidney beans as well as the corn, rest of the peppers and fresh coriander and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Serve in dishes, topped with fresh Coriander, Sour Cream and grated cheese or chunks of Avocado. Alternatively, top with cheesy garlic croutons.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY GARLIC CROUTONS:
- Take a few slices of white bread and cut into quarters. Lightly fry in a pan with a dash of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of crushed garlic, until crisp.
- Remove from the pan and top with grated mature cheddar cheese.
- Place the croutons under the grill for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Top onto the soup, along with some fresh coriander.