This spinach and root vegetable gratin is so wholesome and tasty. When you mention turnips or parsnips, most people think about Christmas lunch, but these less common root vegetables can be enjoyed anytime and in so many different ways, such as in this really divine bake.
Serve it alongside meat of your choice or a salad, for a light vegetarian meal.
12 Medium Turnips, washed and trimmed
5 Parsnips, peeled and trimmed
2 Potatoes, peeled
1 and a half Cups Cream
150g Fresh Spinach or Kale, washed and shredded
2tsp Djorn Mustard
2 Cloves Chopped Garlic
3 Tbsp Butter, melted
Pinch of Maldon Salt
Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 Cup Mozarella Cheese
1 and a half Cups Panko or Regular Breadcrumbs
1 Cup Grated Parmesan
Bunch of Fresh Rosemary or Tarragon
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Thinly slice the turnips and potatoes and slice the parsnips as thin as possible, lengthways.
- Grease a large oven proof dish and then arrange the thinly sliced turnips, potato and parsnips in the dish, in such a way that the variety of veg is spread out evenly.
- Season the veg, sprinkle with garlic and drizzle the melted butter over.
- Place in the oven and roast for around 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cream, mustard and fresh herbs. (Rosemary or tarragon)
- Remove the dish from the oven and pour the cream mixture over it and then bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread the Spinach all around the dish.
- Place the grated mozzarella over all the veg, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs over and lastly top with sprinkled grated parmesan cheese.
- 10.Place in the oven and bake for around 30 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve. Enjoy x
Serves 6 people as a side dish