Who doesn’t love crunchies? The sweet oats and literal crunchiness of this biscuit makes them a favourite snack for young and old (in fact they even make good doggie treats as my Bassett Hound loves them). The best part is that they are pretty healthy. I have fine-tuned this recipe quite a bit and removed sugar completely, so you get the sweetness from the syrup and natural sugar of the dates. I hope you will enjoy the results, along with a good cup of tea in the afternoon.
(You may want to double up the mixture as they normally don’t last long!)
3 Tbs Maple Syrup
100g Self Raising Flour
150g mix of flaked almonds and coconut and chopped dates (Or alternatively use raisons, pumpkin seeds, almonds and sunflower seeds instead)
- Heat the butter and syrup together in a pan on the stove, until it all melts.
- Mix the dry ingredients all together.
- Add the butter mixture and mix.
- Take small amounts of the mixture (about 2 Tbsp) and roll into balls.
- Place on a greased tray and lightly press the balls down.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 12 minutes, until starting to harden and brown.
- Place them on a rack to cool for a few minutes and then enjoy.
makes around 14